Tuesday, December 18, 2012

One God

God only of Israel?

The False Teaching:

God was only the God of Israel and not of the Gentiles. Other gods were the gods of the Gentiles - even if you had faith in Christ.

New Testament Response:

1 Corinthians 8:4-6
So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that an idol is nothing at all in the world and that there is no God but one. For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many “gods” and many “lords”), yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.
Paul says the same God will justify both the circumcised and uncircumcised:
Romans 3:30
since indeed there is one God who will justify the circumcised by faith, and the uncircumcised through faith.
See also Mark 12:29, 1 Timothy 2:5, James 2:19

Who is the God of Jesus?

The False Teaching:

The god of Jesus was not the God of Israel.

New Testament Response:

Jesus and New Testament writers make clear that the God of Israel is the God of Jesus.
John 20:17
Jesus said to her, "Don't hold me, for I haven't yet ascended to my Father; but go to my brothers, and tell them, 'I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.'"

2 Corinthians 11:31
The God and Father of the Lord Jesus Christ, he who is blessed forevermore, knows that I don't lie.
See also Rom. 15:6, 2 Cor. 1:3, Col. 1:3, 1 Pet. 1:13

Related Verses in Ephesians:

Eph. 1:3, Eph. 1:17

Who was the Father of Jesus?

The False Teaching:

Jesus' father was a different God than the God of Israel.

New Testament Response:

Jesus makes statements in contrast to this:
John 8:54
Jesus answered, "If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say that he is our God.
Jesus and New Testament writers make clear that God is the Father of Jesus and his disciples and also that God is the God of Jesus.
John 20:17
Jesus said to her, "Don't hold me, for I haven't yet ascended to my Father; but go to my brothers, and tell them, 'I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.'"

2 Corinthians 11:31
The God and Father of the Lord Jesus Christ, he who is blessed forevermore, knows that I don't lie.
See also Rom. 15:6, 2 Cor. 1:3, Col. 1:3, 1 Pet. 1:13

Related Verses in Ephesians:

Eph. 1:3