Monday, January 7, 2013

Psalm 110:1

Christ is Lord of Those in Heaven

Background:

Psalm 110:1
Yahweh says to my Lord, "Sit at my right hand, until I make your enemies your footstool for your feet."

The False Teaching:

The Christ in the Flesh would not be Lord over those who ascended to heaven.

New Testament Response:

Matthew 22:41-45
Now while the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them a question, saying, "What do you think of the Christ? Whose son is he?" They said to him, "Of David." He said to them, "How then does David in the Spirit call him Lord, saying,'The Lord said to my Lord, sit on my right hand, until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet?' "If then David calls him Lord, how is he his son?"
Since the Pharisees believed that David was in heaven, they believed that the Christ would not rule over him. However, in Psalm 110:1, David refers to Christ as Lord. The Pharisees were not able to refute that.

Peter quotes the same Psalm and uses it to prove that Christ is Lord over all of Israel.
Acts 2:33-36
Being therefore exalted by the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured out this, which you now see and hear. For David didn't ascend into the heavens, but he says himself, 'The Lord said to my Lord, "Sit by my right hand,until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet."' "Let all the house of Israel therefore know certainly that God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified."

See also Mat. 26:64, Mar. 12:36, 14:62, 16:19, Luk. 20:41-44, 22:69, Acts 7:55-56, Rom. 8:34, 1 Cor. 15:25, Col 3:1, Heb. 1:3,13, 8:1, 10:12-13, 12:2, 1Pe. 3:22

Related Verses in Ephesians:

Eph. 1:20, Eph. 1:21, Eph. 1:22